Communique Issued At The End Of The 17th Annual National Convention Of Enugu Association – USA Inc
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE 17TH ANNUAL NATIONAL CONVENTION OF ENUGU ASSOCIATION – USA INC, HELD AT THE PALACE STATION AND CASINO HOTELS, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES FROM JULY 23RD – 26TH, 2015.
The Enugu Associations – USA Inc. was established in 1998 as the umbrella organization of all Enugu state people in the United States of America. The Association held her 17th Annual National Convention from July 23rd -26th, 2015 at the Palace Station and Casino Hotels, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. The convention’s theme is, “Perfecting Relationship between Enugu-USA and all Enugu State people”. The convention was kicked off on Thursday, July 23 with Announcements from the National President, Dr. Sinachi Ugwuonye, and the Convention Planning Committee Chair, Chief Chidi Ugwueze, and then followed with registrations of all Convention Attendees. The Post Medical Mission Conference topped the list with a review of the 2014 Medical Mission focusing on lesson-learned and suggestions moving forward. The Medical Mission team from Nigeria and their US counterparts led the discussion. Registration continued on Friday July 24 and was rounded up with committee meetings and the usual welcome party.
The business meeting on Saturday, July 25th, was made up of numerous plenary sessions with speakers from broad spectrum of committees and organizations discussing Enugu-USA, Medical Mission, Education & Youths, Economic Developments, Women Affairs, Banking, Real Estates & Investments, etc. The highlight of the convention was the keynote speech delivered at the Dinner/Gala night via Live Skype videoconferencing by the Deputy Senate President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Dr. Ike Ekweremadu, CFR titled, “The Enugu State of My Dream”. The convention ended with fundraising, awards and recognition at the Gala Night.
After the presentations of numerous papers, speeches, contribution of the participants exhaustive cum extensive deliberations, the national convention resolves thus:
Enugu –USA & Enugu State people
- As the theme of this convention goes – “Perfecting Relationship between Enugu USA and Enugu State people”; the perfection of the relationship starts with us because that which unites us is greater than that which divides us.
- The convention aligning in the spirit of oneness, Enugu-USA extends hands of partnership to our brothers and sisters in Nigeria and in the Diaspora, both in private and public sectors to join us in the tedious job of serving and uplifting our people.
- The convention subscribes to the notion that the tasks of building greater Enugu State require renewed synergy of cooperation between the governments (State & Local) and the people of Enugu State both home and abroad.
- As a catalyst to move in various directions, Enugu-USA is to expand the frontiers of the existing relationship between Enugu-USA and Enugu State, local governments, National Assembly delegation and other professional and non-governmental organizations in the state.
- The convention supports the expansion of the annual Medical Mission to monthly venture and possibly all year round affair. With the appointment of several healthcare professionals on the ground in Enugu State where the poor and deprived citizens in the rural communities of Enugu State will continue to benefit.
- Enugu-USA is to continue to partner with Enugu State government and the local governments through their umbrella organization ALGON to execute and facilitate the expanded Medical Mission.
- The convention resolved that Enugu-USA is to partner with the Ministry of Health, Enugu and other non-profit and non-governmental organizations to combat infant mortality.
- The convention recommends that the Diaspora organizations adopt primary or secondary educational institutions in groups or individually and contribute to their uplift within their means.
- Enugu-USA is to explore the possibility of boosting morale of our students through awarding of academic scholarships.
- Enugu-USA is to explore the possibility of rekindling and reviving the intercollegiate soccer competition among the secondary schools in Enugu State.
- The convention recommends that the Diaspora community and organizations donate books to equip the libraries or donate instructional materials or attract international donor agencies
Economic Development & Investment
- The convention calls on our Diaspora communities and organizations to endeavor to invest in Enugu State or bring along investors to participate in the economic development of Enugu State.
- Enugu-USA commends the Executive Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for constituting Economic Advisory Committee to chart the course of economic development and investment in Enugu State.
- The convention recommends that Enugu State government sell to private investors abandoned industries such as the Premier Cashew Industry Ezeagu, Anambra/Enugu Vegetable Oil Products Company Ltd. (AVOP), the Nigergas Aluminum Factory Ohebedim, the Star Printing and Publishing Company and others.
- The convention recommends that Enugu State government should partner with the Diaspora community and foreign investors to encourage commercial and mechanized farming
- Enugu – USA commends the Executive Governor of Enugu State, His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for appointing three members of our Diaspora community into his cabinet.
Enugu State Government
- The convention commends the existing good relationship between the Enugu State delegation to the National Assembly and the Enugu State government.
- Enugu – USA calls on the Enugu State delegation to the National Assembly to continue in their quest to propose and pass laws beneficial to Enugu State, laws such as removing mineral resources from the exclusive list and decentralization of Policing.
- The convention commended and extolled the visible working relationship and cooperation existing between His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Enugu State, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and His Excellency, Deputy Senate President of Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Ike Ekweremadu.
- The convention expressed sincere gratitude to His Excellency, Deputy Senate President of Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dr. Ike Ekweremadu for opting to address us via Live Skyp videoconferencing and the process saving tons of money and resources on both sides.
Enugu – USA
- Participants particularly commended the transformative leadership of the National President Dr. Sinachi Ugwuonye, who has lived up to the expectations of her exalted office in transparency, integrity, innovativeness and commitment to the objectives of the Association.
- The convention remembers in a very special way some of our fallen members, who during their time, contributed in no small manners towards Enugu USA projects – Late Hon. Fred Ofordu, the National Coordinator of the Medical Mission. Late Hon. Mrs. Agbo, the wife of Chairman of the Board, Elder John Agbo. Late Hon. Jeffrey Madu, member of Dallas chapter. May they continue to rest in peace!
- The Board of Directors met and voted for the 18th Annual National Convention to convene in Los Angeles, California in 2016. The host chapter is Enugu State Cultural Association of Southern California.
The Annual National Convention had in attendance the Deputy Senate President of Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency, Dr. Ike Ekweremadu, CFR who participated via live Skyp videoconferencing from Nigeria. Present at the convention are the National President Dr. Sinachi Ugwuonye, the Deputy Chairman of BOD, Hon. Ike Anigwe, who represented the BOD Chair, Elder John Agbo, President-Emeritus, Dr. Emma Obiesie, Prof Godfrey Uzochukwu and Hon. Oby Ebulu; the Enugu-USA Executive team VP, Lady Christy Obimah; SG, Chuma Ojukwu; Fin. Sec. Gab Agbo; Treasurer, Lady UK Odo; Chief Whip, Remmy Ohagwu; Asst. PRO and CPC Co-Chair, Mrs. Scholastica Nweke; Asst. Whip Philip Anih, Chairman CPC, Chief Chidi Ugwueze and all the members of the Convention Planning Committee, the immediate past Chairman of Board- Hon. Princess Blessing Chukwu, Lady Ijeoma Nweze, current BOD secretary, and the rest of the Board of Directors.
In attendance are the US Medical Mission team Hon. John Nzekwe, National Coordinator and his wife, Hon. Mrs Ifeoma Nzekwe, Chief Medical Director – USA, Dr. Vitalis Okechukwu, the Director of Nursing Lady Scholar Nweke, Deputy DON, Lady Mary Udengwu, CNO, Lady Amaka Ofodile, Sr. Special Adviser, Ozo Ethel Odo, Chief Logistics Analyst, Leo Ugwu; Director of Health and Wellness, Dr. Uzzi Chukwu; and Chief Pharmacist, Dr. Tom Omeh. The Nigerian Medical Mission team led by Chief Medical Director Dr. Emmanuel Nwoye, and Director of Nursing Lady Favor Dickson.
Also present are the MC and Co-MC extraordinaire, Prof. Bedford Umez and Ngozi Agada; the very beautiful ushers, Uju Egbuji, Ngozi Okechukwu, Emily Echebi, Chy Agbayi, Ebele Ezeonyim, and Mary Udengwu, The DJ from out of this World, Osondu. Others are the all-rounders of Enugu-USA, Dr. Ezejiofo Udeh; Dr & Mrs. Alphonsus Okoli, the able CLO, Chief/Atty & Mrs.. C.C. Ude, Dr. John & Mrs. Jesse Nwokeabia; President of Enugu State Women of Southern California, Lady Oby Nibo; Arch. Sir & Lady. Mike Okonkwo, Sir & Mrs. Tony Ogbodo – Nwata ana anyo eze, O na consider, and his wonderful friends; Dr. and Dr./Mrs. Anigbo; Sir DND Ekwueme, immediate past BOD secretary, Hon. Chief Greg and his gorgeous wife, Dr./Mrs. Ngozi Amalu; Gentleman Easy Ojonta; Ozo Emma Ede and his gorgeous wife; the MD Youth and Education, Prof. Andrew Ewoh; Coordinator Education sector, Prof. Jerry Stephens; Chief Comrade John Okolonta; Gentleman Bryan Ojibe; Chief Ike Okonkwo; The Senior Special Adviser on Media, Offissa In Charge, Amaechi Nwoye; Sr. Special Assistant to the President, Hon. Chibuike Mgborie and his beautiful wife; Hon. Stephen Agbo; Hon. Victor Akpu and his very beautiful wife; Hon. Izu and lady Justina Onyeani; Atty. Kennedy Obi; Atty. Frank Mba; Dr. Obi Taiwan; Hon. Silva Enyi and his beautiful wife; Hon. Rommy Okabuonye; immediate past Deputy BOD chair, lady Maureen Mbamalu; the Chief Protocol Officer, Gracie Ozokwo and her Ozokwo sisters; Dr. Nebechi; the Akubuilo sisters and mom; Our Spiritual Adviser, Fr. Leo Udeagu; Life & Times Media and Crew; Chief/Sir Chike Nweke; Fidelity National Bank and Reps; Femab Properties and Reps; Ada Okpoko; Peter Enewally; Hon. Peter Agbafe; Hon. Adol Aganigbo; Hon. Oliver Okenchi; Uche and Sam Obong; Chief George and Lolo Ngozi Ilouno; Chief/Dr. Chris and lady Ikeanyi; Chief Ibezim and Lady Jane Agu; Lady Iffy Nebo; Chief Austin Anijiele; Hon. Afam Ugbo; Ogbuefi Kevin and Lolo Uche Enewally; Hon. John Nwoye; Hon. Ogo Olekamma; Sir. Joe Anibueze; Benji and Mary Udengwu; Hon. Jimmy and lady Emelda Okoli; Hon. Peter Ude; Hon. Ike Ogbodo; Lady Ifeoma Nebo-Anijielo; Lady Carol Aimua; Mrs. Chinwe Ugochukwu; Chief Ike and lolo Rachel Aneke; Lady Tina Anene; Atty. Charles Ukwu and wife; Chief & Mrs. Felix Ikeanyionwu; Dr. Mrs. Mary Uzochukwu; Ho. Mrs. Nkiru Ohagwu; Talking Technology, Chief Chris Obieje; Hon. Clement Nweke; Chief Clement and Chief/Mrs. Helen Ene; Hon. Cosoco Chibuko; Hon. Oby Anita Aniebo; Lolo Helen Ugwueze; Hon. Mrs. Tessy Orah; Hon.Dr. Robinson Ogavu; Hon. Mrs. Ngozi Eze; Hajia of Washington, Mrs. Ebele Ezeonyim; the co-chair – membership mobilization, Chief Nick Opkuisi and his wife; Chief Emma and Lady Celina Nwagbo; Lieutenant Hetty Ofughara; Hon. Larry Oko and his beautiful wife; Obiora Ene; Sir Sunday Agude; Chief Ezenome of Las Vegas; Dr. Robinson Ogavu; Princess/Lolo Chinyere Ani; Hon. Winnie Nwangwu; Hon. Ike Anigwe; Hon Ike Udengwu; Hon Max Ajah; Hon ………….Hon. Ijeoma Aniude; Hon. Ifeomma Onyia; Hon. Peter and Hon. Mrs. Ifeoma Justina Anyawu; Hon. Juliet Okwuchi Egbo and many others. All the chapters of Enugu-USA were represented.
Thank you so very much for your time.
Long Live Enugu –USA
Long Live Las Vegas, Nevada
Long Live Enugu State
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria
Long Live United States of America
National Secretary General
The 2015 National Convention Planning Committee
Co-Chair: Chief Chidi Joe Ugwueze | Mrs. Schola Nweke
Secretary: Mrs. Chi Agbayi